footwall

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
footwall

Opinions, rumors, discussion and everything else you want to talk about to do with the beautiful game

2 posters

"The Classic" if you will...

BrynJ_SE7
    BrynJ_SE7
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

"The Classic" if you will... Empty "The Classic" if you will...

Post  BrynJ_SE7 Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Chelsea vs Manchester United.

This game, in my opinion would decide who would challenge for the title with Liverpool, and arguably become favourites to lift the cup at the end of the season. So, this was the most important game of the season by far in my opinion and one that would have been watched by Rafa in particular.

Analysis:

Match: Pretty poor to be honest. The start of the game was very cagey and tentitive, neither side willing to throw themselves forward in fear of being exposed at the back. This was in testiment to the importance of the game. The game, in my opinion was always going to be won by the team that scored first, which was Manchester United. The goal was by no means a classic, a powerful header off a corner by Vidic, but was a good example of the nature of the game, unglamorous and all about physical confrontation. After this goal, which came in first half stoppage time, Chelsea did not look like scoring and Manchester United pressed on with their advantage no longer living in fear. Going on to score another two goals before the final whislte through Rooney, and Berbatov.

What is especially worrying for Chelsea is the fact that a) they did not look like scoring at all against a resolute Man U defence, but more frighteningly that b) it was very close to their strongest team. With the exception of Essien being injured, the line up was their strongest. This is indeed worrying for the blues, but very good news for Manchester United, that were not at all their strongest team. With Fletcher, Park, and Evans in the line up, this just shows that not only are Manchester United looking likely to win the title, but have the strongest squad in the leauge, if not the world.

Performance Analysis:
    Chelsea:

Cech: Pretty solid, did not do much wrong other than let the goals in. None of which were his fault.

Bosingwa: Very off and on, controlled Ronaldo on occasion but also was beaten and let crosses into the box, was not as threatening going forward as one might expect.

Terry: Outstanding, played very very well in the centre of defence, making crucial tackles and blocks, in my opinion man of the match.

Carvalho: Solid game, not outstanding but did not do anything wrong.

Cole: Was not good in defence, the second goal was caused by his poor marking, but was fairly good going forward.

Lampard: Fairly invisible performance, maybe because he got booked for a nothing foul in the 3rd minute. His performance epitimised Chelsea's all round performance.

Mikel: Solid defensively, did his job by breaking up attacks, but was not creative enough going forward.

Ballack: Played awfully in my opinion, he did nothing other than make poor touches in the box, and dive badly in the box.

Cole: Very, very quiet game for Joe Cole, the lack of chances could be attributed to his invisibility, aswell as Deco's and Lampard's.

Drogba: Terrible, the worst performer of the game. He did absolutely nothing right the entire game.

Deco: Quiet, ineffectual, and made many poor deliveries off set pieces/crossing opportunities. Suffering greatly from a loss of form.

Anelka(S): Similar performance to Drogba, did nothing the entire game, however had less time to make a differance, and did less wrong.

Belliti(S): Did not play badly, did not play well, did not have enough time to make a differance.

Manchester United:

Van der Saar: Solid, did not have much to do, but what he did he did well.

Neville: Played solid football, very defensive and offered little going forward, but was not giving any chances down the wing.

Vidic: Solid game, did not do anything outstanding defensivly, would have been a fairly nodescript game for him other than his goal.

Evans: Played very well for a young, inexperienced player in a big game. Did nothing wrong the entire game.

Evra: His return to the team was what United have missed in my opinion, the creater of the second goal and the instigator of many United attacks. One of the better players of the game.

Ronaldo: Fairly average game, a few glimpses of last season's Ronaldo, but a very watered down version.

Fletcher: Not his best game of the season, but continues to impress me as a player.

Giggs: Played in Centre Mid, and played outstandingly. Other than Terry, my man of the match.

Park: Played well, worked hard with much endevour. Not a flair player, or a flashy player, but an effective one nonethelesss.

Rooney: Played well, scored a goal, and had a hand in most of the build up to attacks for United. Proving, yet again, what a good player he is.

Berbatov: A nothing game for him, until his goal, has yet to really impress at United.

Carrick: Did not have enough time to make a differance in the game.

Commentators: I felt i had to mention that Ian Dowie is a massive douche, he cannot speak, cannot string together words, and cannot make a decent point. The other guy, John Champion is a good commentator.

Team of the day:

Van der Saar
    Neville
    Terry
    Evans
    Evra
    Park
    Giggs
    Mikel
    Rondaldo
    Rooney
    Berbatov

(A vast majority of Manchester United players)

Man of the Match: John Terry

Reffing was poor as well.
    Max
    Max
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

"The Classic" if you will... Empty Re: "The Classic" if you will...

Post  Max Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:08 am

For a neutral the game would have been good to watch, sadly not so for a Chelsea fan. Everything that we as a collective group (Chelsea fans) have been raving on about has come to fruition all in one painful performance. Deco showed how slow he is. Mikel showed how inexperienced he can be. Berbatov and Vidic Showed the world how Di Santo can't mark well. Ballack showed how little confidence a person can have, and that is understandable considering the coaches favourite player plays in his position and he hasn't scored for some time. Carvalho was actually quite a bright spot, it was good to see that our deep lying centre half has lost none of his skill. Terry was good as per usual. Ashley Cole nulified Ronaldo which was cool, and I was impressed that he actually went forward for periods in the first and second half. Boswingwa was solid defensively but Joe Cole gave him pathetic cover when Evra came forward it was 2 v 1 and he was made to look bad even though it was not his fault. Lampard tried to get involved but as Deco and Ballack cannot play close to each other they were playing too far apart for Lampard to operate down the middle, and in the second half when Anelka came on Chelsea were 2-0 down before Lampard could get moving efficiently so he was forced into a damage control defensive role. Drogba was awful. Anelka gave a lot more movement and look semi dangerous compared to the rest of the Cheslea team who looked aimless and pathetic. Joe Cole has shown time and time again that he is not a winger, and that he should be played in the middle, although he is not good enough to play there in the Chelsea midfield with the likes of Deco, Ballack, Lampard, Mikel, Essien etc.. Petr Cech was not at his best but by no means bad. Although he made some saves I think pre-head injury Cech would have got to that first goal.

All in all, a depressing performance for a team who really should be a lot better. Now we must look to Scolari, either he beats liverpool and arsenal in the upcoming fixtures this year and wins some form of silverwear, or he's not going to make it into next season.
    BrynJ_SE7
    BrynJ_SE7
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Post  BrynJ_SE7 Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:24 am

I'm thinking of doing one of these each week for one game out of each of the big 3 leagues. One out of EPL, One out of Serie A, and one out of La liga. Think that is a good idea?
    Max
    Max
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Post  Max Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:54 am

Yes except I think you should let me do the La Liga one

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 pm